- THANKS FOR THE BOOST!
- SAFE DRINKING WATER FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS
- MAKE INT’L CALLS? BET THESE GUYS BEAT YOUR CURRENT CARRIRER
- MINISTRY TRANSPORTATION SOLUTIONS
- QUALITY TRAINING FOR MID-TERM MISSIONARIES
- FIELD MISSIONARY COLLEGE EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS?
- MORE IDEAS ON RESPONDING TO POP-UPS AND FALSE SCREENS
- TRAINING IN CYBERMISSIONS
- FREE TENTMAKING SEMINAR IN PRATTVILLE ALABAMA
- PRAYFORDENMARK.COM WEB SITE LAUNCHED
- WANT “IN” ON THE GOOGLE “GMAIL” BETA TEST?
- ENGLISH SPEAKERS/ENGLISH TEACHERS NEEDED
- TENTMAKING COURSE STILL HAS ROOM!
- CLOSING STUFF
- THANKS FOR THE BOOST! — Thanks to the tribal missionary in Thailand who wrote, this past week, “You are a blessing to us. Thanks for your vision and for sticking with it.” They enclosed $100 with their note of encouragement, to help us underwrite the cost of the Brigada secretary. Dial-Abroad sent money from August phone users: $156 more toward our secretary! This brings us to a total of $4,675.02 collected so far in 2004. Whoa we’ve got a ways to go: The Brigada secretary is being paid $16,140 for the year’s work. Can anyone else out there help us make this happen in the last 3 months of the year? If so, just log on to: “sponsor“, or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. Thanks! As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift by anonymous.
- SAFE DRINKING WATER FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS -– One of our sponsors, TealBrook Supplies, offers a portable water purification system that is excellent for relief situations, operating on gravity and making the water microbiologically safe. Following Hurricane Mitch these were used extensively to bring safe drinking water to the victims, often via the local church creating a direct connection of the church to the hurting. If you’re involved in relief efforts contact TealBrook by visiting their website at http://www.tealbrook.com or emailing them at info(at)tealbrook(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- MAKE INT’L CALLS? BET THESE GUYS BEAT YOUR CURRENT CARRIRER — Try an international calling service that reportedly has the cheapest country-to-country phone rates. Learn more at https://brigada.org/phone.html [Truth in partnership: These two services support our Brigada-sponsored secretary.]
- MINISTRY TRANSPORTATION SOLUTIONS — MATS Ministry has been: providing for the transportation needs of Christian Ministries since 1977. They try to provide cars, trucks, vans, buses, bicycles, motorcycles, for domestic, field, retired, furlough, personal use. New or Used, most any brand, model, make, most any place! Their sole objective is to save you money when your need is for ministry. Find them on the web at http://www.mats.org or email car(at)mats(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .].
- QUALITY TRAINING FOR MID-TERM MISSIONARIES — Mid-term missions is a fast growing segment of the missions endeavor and includes those serving cross-culturally for three months to three years. They need more training than the two-week short-termer, but not as much the career missionary. DELTA Ministries International has developed an intensive, four-day training specifically for the mid-term missionary. The next training will be held in New York City, October 14-17, 2004. You can receive further information by writing to info(at)deltaministries(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] or calling 503-669-8048, or see the web at http://www.deltaministries.com/midterm_training.htm
- FIELD MISSIONARY COLLEGE EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS? — Is anyone aware of university graduate education (distance) grants/scholarships/major discounts/free tuition/etc. for field missionaries? Catalin (popa(at)euro316(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] ) would like to know. Send options to Catalin and he’ll report back to us in a couple of weeks so that everyone can see the list. Thanks Catalin!
MORE IDEAS ON RESPONDING TO POP-UPS AND FALSE SCREENS — No matter *what* kind of browser you use, in Windows, you should be able to right-click then hit “close” on the browser’s tab in your status bar. (Thanks Mark!) But Mary gets the award for the *easiest* method of forcing a window closed: ctrl-W! How’d I miss that before? Thanks Mary!
Two different Peters plus a Scott wrote with a different approach. They all suggested changing to Mozilla web browser, http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ Scott went on to point out that The Office of Homeland Security’s Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) recently recommended switching from IE to Firefox because of its enhanced security features. Read their recommendations at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6746-2004Jun25.html
Christopher recommended the Enigma browser http://www.suttondesigns.com/ He said it works with Internet Explorer, but gives multiple tabs, instead of multiple IE windows. It has a built in pop-up filter, inline ad filter, and site filter (on user’s request) and, according to Christopher, it really makes Internet browsing much easier.
By all means, if you’re in the Windows environment, we assume you’re already running Google’s toolbar (which includes the pop-up blocker) or the new pop-up blocker in Windows Service Pack 2.
- TRAINING IN CYBERMISSIONS — http://www.cybermissions.org/training/ A 12-week online course in Cybermissions and Internet Evangelism, covers theology and strategy of Internet ministry, online communication, online community, suitable unreached people groups for Internet outreach, online demographics, reaching post-moderns online, reaching major world religions online, developing bridge sites, and much more. The course starts September 20th but you can enroll until the 30th. Just go to the website above to enroll. The cost is $35 donation for Western students, free for students from developing nations. Run by John Edmiston from the Asian Internet Bible Institute and Tony Whittaker of the Web Evangelism Guide. Email: johned(at)aibi(dot)ph [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- FREE TENTMAKING SEMINAR IN PRATTVILLE ALABAMA — Global Opportunities is offering a FREE half-day seminar (9 am to 1 pm) Saturday, Oct 2, at East Memorial Baptist Church in Prattville, Alabama. The church is located at 435 Sheila Boulevard, Prattville, Alabama 36066. See their website for directions: http://www.eastmemorial.org This Seminar will help you understand how you can reach the world as a non-traditional missionary, using your vocation to reach the nations! For further information on this FREE seminar and to REGISTER go to: http://www.globalopps.org/seminar For additional information, please contact Charles at: charles(at)globalopps(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- PRAYFORDENMARK.COM WEB SITE LAUNCHED — A new Web site, called Pray for Denmark… http://www.prayfordenmark.com has recently been launched to promote prayer by North Americans of Danish descent for the revival of the Christian church in their Danish homeland. The creators hope it will spark similar sites for other countries/homelands.
- WANT “IN” ON THE GOOGLE “GMAIL” BETA TEST? — Another Brigada reader has offered his help. Just write frank.e.martin(at)gmail(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- ENGLISH SPEAKERS/ENGLISH TEACHERS NEEDED — They’re needed in Kazakhstan for Fall 2004, Spring 2005, or Summer 2005. If you are a native English speaker and can teach conversational English, please check the website at http://tinyurl.com/kz1v or http://tinyurl.com/469s5 This is a great opportunity to serve with local Kazakhstani teachers and build new friends. You may email Kurt at caopscenter(at)pactec(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .].
- TENTMAKING COURSE STILL HAS ROOM! — The GLOBAL Opportunities “Light to the Nations” course still has space available. Enjoy four and a half days of focused teaching on all things tentmaking, stories from experienced tentmakers and time just spent connecting with others of like mind – all in a wonderful setting at the US Center for World Missions in Pasadena California. October 13-17, 2004. To register, click to: http://www.globalopps.org/ltn