- FREE BIBLE AND WEBBASED BIBLE STUDY TOOLS
- CARRY GARRISON’S CHURCH-PLANTING BOOK ON YOUR PDA
- STUDY RUSSIAN THIS WINTER/SPRING
- GEAR UP AT ASIA PACIFIC INSTITUTE OF BUDDHIST STUDIES
- STUDY RELIEF & DEVELOPMENT THEN SERVE IN THE MIDDLE EAST
- PRAYING THROUGH THE ARABIAN PENINSULA NEEDS DESIGNER
- PRAY FOR THE HERERO PEOPLE
- MINISTRY COACHING TRAINING TO MULTIPLY YOUR IMPACT
- THANKS TO THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE
- STAND UP FOR BRIGADA TODAY’S FUTURE: DONATE TODAY
- THE BACK PAGE: WIKI APPLICATIONS ARE HERE TO STAY
- CLOSING STUFF
FREE BIBLE AND WEBBASED BIBLE STUDY TOOLS — Bible.org
is the home with over 3000 bible study articles, where you can download the NETBible with its over 60,000 footnotes. They’ve just announced the NeXtBible, a web based bible study tool set at
These tools allow one to search the NET Bible and search dictionaries, view theGreek and Hebrew and see the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge Cross-References for each verse. You can compare the NET Bible with other modern translations in “verse view”. They are working to provide access to these tools for free to any Christian web site. If you are interested email Brigada(at)bible(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address, please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
CARRY GARRISON’S CHURCH-PLANTING BOOK ON YOUR PDA — Thanks to Bob, of the IMB, who tipped us off that we can carry a PDA version of the Garrison’s Church Planting Movements Booklet, as well as some additional missions resources, at
Both the PDF and a Word doc version of the CPM Booklet are available here:
STUDY RUSSIAN THIS WINTER/SPRING — Studying at the Institute of Strategic Languages and Cultures (ISLC) (formerly Russian Language Ministries) will give you a good head start in learning the needed language and culture. Their experienced staff tailors each course to your learning needs in an encouraging spiritual atmosphere with a focus on future ministry. Visit them at their Urbana booth (1203) if you are at the Urbana Conference. They’re now forming classes for their 16-week Spring course (Jan. 22- May 11). Browse to
or call US toll Free: 1-800-799-7976 or 1-803-333-9119. or email RLMoffice(at)juno(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- GEAR UP AT ASIA PACIFIC INSTITUTE OF BUDDHIST STUDIES — If you are interested in special training for ministering to people influenced by Buddhist worldviews, the Asia Pacific Institute of Buddhist Studies is offering 4 two-week modules at the campus of Asia Pacific Theological Seminary (APTS) in Baguio, Philippines, April 4-May 27, 2007. April 2-13: “Models of Hope for Church Planting in Buddhist Context”- April 16-27: “Communicating Christ in Folk Buddhist Cultures” April 30-May 11: “Ministry to Tibetan Buddhists”- May 13-24: “Missiology in the Buddhist World” Courses can be taken for graduate credit with APTS. Request an application form from Alan by emailing alan(dot)johnson(at)agmd(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
STUDY RELIEF & DEVELOPMENT THEN SERVE IN THE MIDDLE EAST — The first School Of Relief & Development (SWORD) will run in Jordan and Dubai in March 2008. A 2-year Field Assignment will follow, which will be spearheaded by the Olympic Outreach in Beijing July 2008. Teams will then disperse back to the Middle East and into their respective target countries. A team will remain in China. Would you be interested in this? For more info, browse to
http://www.streams.mysite or email
streams7(at)juno(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- PRAYING THROUGH THE ARABIAN PENINSULA NEEDS DESIGNER — PTAP needs a graphics designer who will help put together prayer materials (booklet, brochure, etc) for a third year of Praying Through the Arabian Peninsula (PTAP). Since first starting, this imitative has seen churches planted in the five additional countries of the Arabian Peninsula. Just send a church reference and something indicating your training/experience in the field to PTAP(at)srginc(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] If you’d like to receive a weekly update highlighting similar PTAP needs, send a blank email to PTAPemail@example.com with the subject “subscribe”.
PRAY FOR THE HERERO PEOPLE — This people of central and eastern Namibia (in Africa) have all the right answers, but no relationship. In Otjomeburndja lives H. H. is a traditional Herero, dressed in a traditional, Victorian-style dress. She is also the typical example of empty Christianized tradition. She even has an “original, Martin Luther Bible.” She knows all the right answers, but sadly she can never remember a time when she accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior. As the Herero translator says, “she knows the right answers, but like most Herero, she does not express having a relationship with Jesus.” Like many, she sees no need for Jesus, because she feels she is a Christian. Pray for H. Pray for the Herero people, an unreached people. Pray that workers will be led to the Herero homeland to share the Good News with these people. Pray for God to continue building prayer support for the Herero people. To adopt the Herero people for prayer for more information, please visit the website
or email us at forgottenpeoples(at)telkomsa(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
MINISTRY COACHING TRAINING TO MULTIPLY YOUR IMPACT — Don’t tell people what to do, help them to think better! Servant leadership requires new ways of communicating with those you work with. “Coaching skills are essential. The 60-hour Core Coaching Skills Certificate Program is the first of its kind. This professional program is for leaders who wish to gain coaching skills and take on a part-time or full-time coaching role in their ministry. The next course will be held in Singapore Feb. 26 – Mar. 2, 2007. For details go to:
or e-mail for an alternative web site with little Christian language keith(at)asiacoaches(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- THANKS TO THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE — Thanks to the anonymous user from Centennial, CO who gave $50 to help launch Brigada into a new week! And thanks to the other anonymous user from the UAE who gave $100! We appreciate you!
- STAND UP FOR BRIGADA TODAY’S FUTURE: DONATE TODAY — Want to get on board and pass some fuel for the missions fire at Brigada? (We’d be eternally grateful!) Just click on “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or if you prefer, send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous. In any case, thanks for considering Brigada in your estate giving, your monthly church missions fund, and/or your own personal giving for this calendar year. (Nobody has ever put Brigada in their will to date, as far as we know. But we keep saying that because we think it would be cool if it ever happened. After all, you’ll be gone anyway. Will anyone notice getting 1% less of your estate if you prescribe that 1% to go to Brigada? :-) )
THE BACK PAGE: WIKI APPLICATIONS ARE HERE TO STAY — Have you visited
yet? If not, I bet you will soon. Billing itself as “the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit,” wikipedia.org is only one of hundreds of new wiki applications springing up around the web. In all cases, the focus is simple. “Wiki” means “quick” in Hawaiian. It’s basically just a website that enables users to easily edit and update shared content. Well the whole process got a lot more interested just a couple of weeks ago when Google purchased wiki software maker “JotSpot.” What’s more, Microsoft is incorporating wiki-like features in Office 2007, and IBM is building a similar wiki product in a feature they’re preparing for 2007.
So why are they so popular? They promote transparency in both reading and authoring. In addition, users get to pitch in together – and the outcome is something the whole organization can then enjoy.
So how will wikis affect you and your mission or church? How ’bout setting up a wiki to explain your organization’s protocols? Or ask your training guys to start a wiki on “getting from here to there.” Maybe you could do a wiki on a major training component… like … learning a particular language or cross-cultural principles. You *might* even find a wiki that already exists… and maybe you could use it right out of the box!
Either way, it’s a concept that’s here to stay. Check out some of the “free” software to run a wiki on your own web server. Examine:
There are commercial products too… but why not check these free ones first, to find out if they’ll do the job.
Next thing you know, we’ll be promoting dozens of wikis right here in Brigada! :-)