- EMMAUS ROAD PRE-PUBLICATION OFFER
- THE UNREACHED: THE CHURCH MAY BE SMALLER THAN YOU THINK
- VIDEOS IN 900 LANGUAGES
- MISSIONARY TRAINING CAMP
- NEW VOICE OVER IP SERVICE: TRY IT, LIKE IT?
- SHARPEN YOUR INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- FRANCOPHONE AFRICAN CONFERENCES IN THE WORKS (CRAF)
- NEW CHURCH-PLANTING RESOURCE
- WILL YOU HELP “SEND” BRIGADA?
- THE BACKPAGE: HOW DO WE *REALLY* GET PEOPLE PRAYING?
- CLOSING STUFF
EMMAUS ROAD PRE-PUBLICATION OFFER -— Emmaus Road International is pleased to announce the reprinting of two of their books: Prepare For Battle; Basic Training in Spiritual Warfare and The Reentry Team; Caring for Your Returning Missionaries. Through September 15th, they are offering a discounted pre-publication sale. You can read more about the books at
But you must send an e-mail to Emmaus_Road(at)eri(dot)org for details of this offer. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
THE UNREACHED: THE CHURCH MAY BE SMALLER THAN YOU THINK — Just when we thought we were making progress… In 1974, the Lausanne Movement woke us up to “about half” the world being “hidden” from the gospel. Recent years have led us to believe that figure had shrunk to as little as 1/3 or even 1/4 of the world’s population being out of reach of the gospel. But from the looks of the top guy at Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF), Kevin Swanson, maybe we’re farther away from our goal than we thought. His article at…
states that “*three* out of four people alive on the earth today still have not heard the Gospel.” Rats. Back to the drawing board. (Thanks for pointing us to that URL, Matt!)
VIDEOS IN 900 LANGUAGES — Check out the new web site for the World Christian Video Directory at
It lists over 900 languages of Christian videos and resellers, organized by title, organization, language and country. It’s an attempt to list evangelistic, apologetic, discipleship and informational Christian videos in all the languages of the world. (Thanks Ken!)
- MISSIONARY TRAINING CAMP — Elijah Company will host another training October 12-15, 2006 at Living Waters Farm in Virginia. These four-day intensive exposures often illuminate the pathways for those desiring to be in missions. From the last training Robyn wrote: We are still processing the closest four days with Jesus ever! Meaning you discipled us so deeply according to the Word that we felt so close to Him, we truly were able to “hear”. Please do not wait too long to register. For more information and applications write to elijah(at)elijahcompany(dot)org or call 757-226-3507. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] Learn more at: http://www.elijahcompany.org .
NEW VOICE OVER IP SERVICE: TRY IT, LIKE IT? — Fernando wrote this past week about a new and different version of Voice over IP (VOIP) software he had just discovered. “Web Call Direct”
has two features not found in similar services like VoipCheap or VoipFree; a) you can place a call between any two phones in the world. In other words, you first set the number of a land line accessible to you and then the number of the phone you’d like to call. The first one rings, you pick it up and then the second phone rings and the communication is established. The end result is a communication between regular phones without the computer. b) You can do all of this from a webpage using any computer in the world; no need to download any software. You can also call from your computer (if that is your preference) as with any other VOIP service (computer to computer or computer to phone). Fernando did encounter problems trying to use his credit card, though his PayPal account went through without a hitch. As with the other services mentioned previously in Brigada, US, Europe and a bunch of other countries are totally free. So if they can work out the possible credit card issues, this service will be one to watch. (Thanks Fernando!)
SHARPEN YOUR INTERPERSONAL SKILLS — International Training Partners offers Sharpening Your Interpersonal Skills Workshops in different parts of the world. These five-day, highly interactive workshops focus on biblical application of skills in relating to one another and to the host people.
A workshop hosted by International Training Partners will in Colorado Springs, Colorado October 8-13, 2006. Contact Robin Bower at rbower(at)itpartners(dot)org for information. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
for details on all of the workshops and information on ITP. If your mission is interested in sponsoring an SYIS workshop, contact Paul Lere at plere(at)itpartners(dot)org
FRANCOPHONE AFRICAN CONFERENCES IN THE WORKS (CRAF) — The 5th Francophone Africa Regional Consultation will take place in May 2007: CRAF Central Africa for central Africa countries will be held on 07-11 May 2007 in Bangui (CAR) and CRAF West Africa for West Africa countries will be held on 14-18 May 2007 in Lome (Togo). CRAF provides an opportunity for innovative leaders to come together to hear how God is at work across Francophone Africa, learn cutting-edge insights from one another, assess where each nation is at the unfinished task of the Great Commission, and engage the critical challenges facing the Church in Francophone Africa. To facilitate this process, two-thirds of the programme is devoted to group interaction. Each morning there will be a key address on Church Planting Movements.
For more information, contact Mr. Younoussa Djao at ydjao.craf(at)gmail(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
NEW CHURCH-PLANTING RESOURCE — Roland Muller’s, “The Messenger, the Message, & the Community” examines three critical issues that the cross-cultural church-planter must face. Muller’s popular Honor & Shame, as well as Tools for Muslim Evangelism are included in this book, (revised editions) plus much more. There are over 300 study questions for those who want to interact with the material. This book is now available from
Order now, as quantities are limited.
- WILL YOU HELP “SEND” BRIGADA? — Want to help make a way for Brigada to keep cranking out the door and onto missions radars worldwide? Just click on “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or if you prefer, send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous. In any case, thanks for considering Brigada in your estate giving, your monthly church missions fund, and/or your own personal giving for this calendar year.
THE BACKPAGE: HOW DO WE *REALLY* GET PEOPLE PRAYING? — Now that I’m a missions committee chairman in a local church, I’m perplexed with the question, “How do we *really* get people praying about missions, missionaries, and the lost people they’re trying to reach?” Fern Creek Christian Church, where my family attends when I’m not traveling, runs about 800 people in size. Having been at my post for less than a year, I’m still learning the ropes. We’re about to stage our first “Missions Fair”, but I can already sense that it’s going to be a tough challenge to get the rank and file of our church *truly* engaged with prayer and missions . . . and especially, with prayer the unreached peoples. Obviously, we have tons of videos, posters, books and other resources. But people are soooooo busy. They are so distracted. They are so already over-committed with their kids’ sports teams, 60-hour work weeks, and gas prices. Over the next few weeks, we’ll give them booklets, magnets, and lots of stories. We’ll introduce them to 20 or so missionaries that our church supports. They’ll walk through displays in our Fellowship Hall. But the real question remains, “Will their prayer lives be truly affected by what they experience?” That’s the key question. Think about it. I’ll let you know what happens in my situation. I’d love to hear more about yours. Send a message, if you have an idea, to:
(You don’t have to join the group. No one else will see your response. It’s just a holding tank for future responses.) Thanks for any advice! We’ll feature feedback in a future Brigada Today.