In this issue…
1. GREAT SOURCE FOR INSURANCE
2. PICK UP A BASKET OF OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE, READY TO DEPLOY
3. DON’T JUMP TO STAR IN FILMS
4. PORTABLE APPS SUITE: A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE FOR THUMB DRIVES
5. NATIONAL ANTHEMS FOR YOUR COUNTRY
6. RETHINKING HINDU MINISTRY GATHERING IN ATLANTA
7. ORAL BIBLE RESOURCES
8. WANT TO LIST YOUR OPPORTUNITIES ON THE WEB?
9. EMPOWER BRIGADA FOR 2005 WHILE YOU STILL CAN
10. THE BACKPAGE: TELL THE CHRISTMAS STORY
11. CLOSING STUFF
1. GREAT SOURCE FOR INSURANCE — More and more companies have entered the international health insurance market. Here’s one that can now provide quotes on 8 different international health insurance plans for career workers offered by 6 different international companies. Premiums usually increase in the first quarter of the year between late January and early March. If you intend to get insurance, it would be best to apply now. For comparison of quotes from several companies contact: jeff(at)gninsurance(dot)com or call 480/813-9100. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] Toll free in USA: 866/636-9100. Visit http://www.gninsurance.com
2. PICK UP A BASKET OF OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE, READY TO DEPLOY — Sure you might be able to find all this stuff on the open Internet. But for this price (a special deal for Brigada members), you could sure save a lot of time by going to: http://Lintel.US/brigada/ The provider writes, “Over the past few months I have put together a collection of open source software for Windows on a single CD. The design of the CD is similar to (and based on) theopencd.org, except mine is a much larger collection. My business partner and I typically sell it for $40 (we have sold it for as high as $60). We’d like to clear inventory and would like to make a special offer to Brigada readers.” (Disclaimer: The provider is saying that for every CD sold, he’ll make a $1 donation to Brigada as a way of saying thank-you. So … for $14, you get all that stuff *plus* send $1 to your favorite missions resource magazine! What’s not to like about that! :-) ) The games alone are worth that: Sokoban, Battle of Wesnoth, FlightGear, GNU Chess, FreeCiv, TuxType, TuxType. :-) OK… you can do work with this CD too. You also get, OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, PDFCreator, Gantt Project, and Open Workbench, among many others. Shipping and handling is just $2.50. That should tell you that the provider isn’t trying to make a bunch of profit. (By the way, in case you’d like to see what the rest of the [non-Brigada] world pays, go to: TelligenceTech.com and you’ll see they have to pay $44.45 for the very same applications. :-) Thanks Peter.)
3. DON’T JUMP TO STAR IN FILMS — If you saw the recent note seeking cross-cultural workers to star in a feature film (“FILM SEEKS MISSIONARY FOR LEAD ROLE”, Nov. 18th Brigada today), think twice — or even three times — before agreeing to anything. At least one Brigada reader feels discretion is the better part of valor… that such films, with good intent or otherwise, raise the level of awareness for non- Christian audiences as well. Accordingly, these films might end up inciting criticism or even violence toward those choosing to star in them. “Hollywood emporium” — or, “let the movie star beware.” :-) Just a word to the wise. Remember that just because the producers of a movie send in the request to feature an item in Brigada Today, it doesn’t mean we know their pedigree. See “DISCLAIMER” in the “CLOSING STUFF”. And remember, fame isn’t eternal fame if, in fleeting, it takes others down with you. (Thanks Mark.)
4. PORTABLE APPS SUITE: A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE FOR THUMB DRIVES — Have you seen Portable Apps Suite, at: http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/portable_apps_suite/ Read more about it at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1849710,00.asp (scroll down ’til you see their mention). This option would give you an anonymous presence on a thumb drive *plus* a great price — free! You get Portable Firefox (web browser), Portable Thunderbird (email client), Portable OpenOffice.org (office suite), Portable AbiWord (word processor), Portable NVU (web editor), Portable Sunbird (calendar & task list), Portable FileZilla (FTP client), Portable Gaim (instant messenger) and it will all fit on a 256Mb USB thumbdrive. Team up this application/hardware with a Gmail account (with a SSL connection to your email) and you’ve got a truly anonymous set-up for next to nothing. The only cost is the cost of the key at your closest computer hardware vendor. (Thanks Paul!)
5. NATIONAL ANTHEMS FOR YOUR COUNTRY — Grab midi music, words, and historical background to the anthems of most countries in the world: http://david.national-anthems.net/ (Thanks Tony!)
6. RETHINKING HINDU MINISTRY GATHERING IN ATLANTA — From June 16 – 18, 2006 the Rethinking Forum will sponsor its 4th annual conference on the Hindu-Christian interface from the perspective of the Rethinking Movement in Indian church history. The consultation will present various stimulating perspectives on service for Christ among Hindus. Although scholarly resource people will be present the focus will be on practical service. This Atlanta area gathering will commence at 1 pm on Friday and conclude at 5 pm on Sunday. For more information contact info(at)rethinkingforum(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
7. ORAL BIBLE RESOURCES — Here’s the perfect way to get started with biblical storytelling: two great DVD workshops. Paul & Teresa have trained more than fifty biblical storytellers in Asia. Now they share their insights in these professionally produced DVDs, “Telling God’s Stories,” and “Multiplying Storytellers.” Each 55 minutes long, these DVDs are chocked full of excellent tips on how to become an effective biblical storyteller and how to train others to tell God’s stories. Only $24.95 for the set of two. Check it out at http://doiop.com/storyteller or email storyteller(at)FinalApproach(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .].
8. WANT TO LIST YOUR OPPORTUNITIES ON THE WEB? — Try browsing to: http://rightnow.org Looks like they’re onto something big there. Lots of opportunities already on file. More coming almost daily. Jump on board. Help get the word out. Let’s ride this wave! :-)
9. EMPOWER BRIGADA FOR 2005 WHILE YOU STILL CAN — Time’s a wastin’! Just pull together your $25 or $250 or $2500 and click “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous.
10. THE BACKPAGE: TELL THE CHRISTMAS STORY — I love hearing from our various workers around the world around this time of the year. Many… especially those working in sensitive lands… have abundant opportunities to tell about the Christmas story during December. Maybe they’re teaching English as a second language… or just helping out at a high school or college. Maybe they lead a conversation club or a “Let’s Start Talking” group. Whatever the location, the outcome is the same: When some individuals hear the Christmas story for the first time, something clicks inside. The God-sized hole that was created in all of us yearns to be filled with His love.
So go ahead… make their day. Tell the Christmas story to a friend, regardless of what continent you call home. You’ll be glad you did — and so will they!