In this issue…
1) NOVEMBER 4TH RALLY IN INDIA: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
2) HOW WILL *YOU* PRAY DURING RAMADAN? (“30 DAYS”)
3) INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC STUDIES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
4) GET TESOL AT BIOLA
5) IMMEDIATE OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA AND WORLDWIDE
7) GET FREE NEWS ABSTRACTS
8) EQUIPPER CONFERENCE 2001
9) HOW TO “STAY IN THE KNOW”
10) CLOSING STUFF
1) NOVEMBER 4TH RALLY IN INDIA: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED — Interested in learning more about what really happened on Nov. 4th in India? (Had you rec’d the email asking for prayer for all those lower caste folks searching for a new religion?) Read all about it:
Thanks to Rick Wood of the US Center for the tip on this article. The summary? Well… not as many as the press releases promised… but still… some positive outcomes.
2) HOW WILL *YOU* PRAY DURING RAMADAN? (“30 DAYS”) — How can you pray effectively for the Muslim world? How can you join some 20 million other Christians doing so? Simple! Pray during Ramadan, 17 November – 16 December 2001. The 30 Days Muslim Prayer Focus guides are short, daily, and full of information and prayer items. This 10th anniversary edition is especially relevant to the needs of today. To subscribe to the email edition, just send any email to or use the simple secure server at http://www.pmbx.net/subscribe.html . Thanks Ron!
3) INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC STUDIES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA — South East Asia Institute of Islamic Studies (SEAIIS) will begin its first year of courses starting 8 April through 1 June 2002. The course will be taught in one-week modules. The purpose of SEAIIS will be to provide and in-depth academic Islamic program each year in the region. It will operate in a city in southern Thailand located one hour north of the Malaysian border and is facilitated by a working committee whose members are from the region of South East Asia and who represent many organizations. The instructors this year will include Sam Solomon, Phil Parshall and many others. There will also be instructors from the region to “localize” the subject matter whenever possible. If you would like more information regarding SEAIIS email: . For security reasons, please state where you heard about SEAIIS, the nature of your inquiry and any information that will let them know who you are or represent.
4) GET TESOL AT BIOLA — Invest three weeks in practical TESOL training and ensure that your teaching is effective and your ministry with students is enhanced. During Essentials of TESOL, July 8-26, 2002, at Biola University in southern California, you will: learn methods and techniques for teaching English language skills, be introduced to the sound and grammar systems of English, discover teaching materials, explore cultural issues, and learn appropriate ways of being a Christian teacher. You will also get supervised experience teaching non-native speakers. Earn a certificate for around $1000 (tuition, room and board). Call 562/944-0351 x 5694 or contact or visit www.biola.edu/academics/sics/essentials_tesol.cfm email@example.com>
5) IMMEDIATE OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA AND WORLDWIDE – Want to reach those in SE Asia? Mission to Unreached People is looking for Teacher Trainers with a Masters degree (preferable). For more info., contact Jeff at 1-888-847-6950 or (206) 781-3151 or on the web at http://www.mup.org or write .
And as always, look for more of these kinds of opportunities by joining Brigada-opportunities. It’s like having a free placement service combined with a free “headhunter” service (the friendly kind) all in one! If you’re looking for a place to serve, where God can use your special gifts, just send a note to
That will make you a member of the email conference, where you will be able to sit back and receive occasional announcements about mission needs.
And if you’ve got an opportunity, please subscribe to publish your job option or ministry need, even if you only stay on the conference temporarily. Just join per the above instructions, then once you’ve heard that you’re subscribed (probably about 2 minutes later), email a note to . You’ll be placing your notice in front of many who are searching for opportunities like yours! When the prospective volunteer hits reply, the reply goes straight to the person who sent the message (not to the whole conference). So go for it! I hope your need will be met *today*! (Apologies to those who try to list job opportunities for specific roles; we just can’t possibly publish all of them.)
6) WEBWATCH — Looking for ideas for your agency’s webpage? Check out
http://www.gfa.org . Notice how many things the visitor can do with one click. Look at the clear site navigation, using the bar at the left-hand side. Notice how many different kinds of readers are served… those wanting to sponsor a national, those looking for news, there’s a free book offer, you can read past articles, find out what’s new, even sign up for free web mail! I think the GFA site significantly raises the bar for mission web pages. Great work GFA!!!
7) GET FREE NEWS ABSTRACTS — An excellent source of news about world current affairs (secular and religious) is available from Wycliffe Associates (UK) News Abstracting Service, which provides twice-monthly e-mail news digests to subscribers via Yahoo! To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to one or more of the following:
NewsAbstracts-N_CeAmericafirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 01)
NewsAbstracts-SAmericaemail@example.com (Zone 02)
NewsAbstracts-Europefirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 03)
NewsAbstracts-Africaemail@example.com (Zone 04)
NewsAbstracts-CISfirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 05)
NewsAbstracts-E_SEAsiaemail@example.com (Zone 06)
NewsAbstracts-Mid_SAsiafirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 07)
NewsAbstracts-Australia_Oceaniaemail@example.com (Zone 08)
NewsAbstracts-SpecialCategoriesfirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 09)
NewsAbstracts-Worldemail@example.com (Zones 1-9;ZIP file)
NewsAbstracts-Healthfirstname.lastname@example.org (Zone 11)
To see a description of, for example, the Africa e-mail list, go
to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewsAbstracts-Africa . If you
are a member of the list, you will be recognized. If not, you’ll probably have to join first. Great stuff. thanks Alan!
8) EQUIPPER CONFERENCE 2001 — This conference is for Japanese Christians and those ministering to them: to teach Japanese Christians through fellowship and messages in Japanese, and for those ministering among Japanese to better understand the critical issues in preparing Japanese Christians to take root and bear fruit back home. 12/27/01-1/1/02 at Forest Home Christian Conference Center, Forest Falls, CA 92339. Sponsoring Organizations include International Students Incorporated, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Japanese Christian Fellowship Network, and Navigators. For more information e-mail or go to http://jcfn.org/EC2001 . (By the way, if you don’t want to install Japanese, just hit cancel if your browser asks.) email@example.com>
9) HOW TO “STAY IN THE KNOW” — Have you seen the service at:
http://toolbox.airsecurity.com/ . What a great site. You can quickly click to news sources, US government resources (some of which might be helpful regardless of where you live in the world), travel tools, and even some cool software to keep you “in the know”. Check it out! (Thanks to the Brigada participant who contributed this site… and asked to remain anonymous.)