Sometimes I’ll call it ‘Lausanne III’ but the technical name is “Capetown 2010: The Third Lausanne Congress on World Evangelization.” Either way, the six key topics are:
- Truth — Bearing witness to the truth of Christ in our time: “How do we make the case for Truth and the uniqueness of Christ in a postmodern, pluralistic world?”
- Reconciliation — Building the Peace of Christ in our Divided and Broken World: “How do we articulate and demonstrate the power of the Gospel in the midst of suffering and strife?”
- World Faiths — Living the Love of Christ with Neighbors of Other Faiths: “How do we respond redemptively to religious fundamentalism — Islam and Hinduism in particular?”
- Priorities — Discerning the Will of Christ in our Ongoing Evangelism: “What should our priorities be with respect to the unfinished task of world evangelization?”
- Integrity — Returning to the Way of Christ in Repentance and Humility: “What are the obstacles to world evangelization within the church and how can those be addressed.”
- Partnership — Partnering in the Body of Christ Toward a New Global Equilibrium: “How should the church in the US partner with the church in the rest of the world?”
In the next edition’s BackPage, we’ll pick apart the first theme, Truth. In the meantime, what’s your take on these 6 issues. Do you feel they address today’s heartbeat issues? Do you see themes or perspectives that the Lausanne architects have forgotten? If so, just jot a note in the “Comments” box below.