In this issue…
1. HAVE YOU INSTALLED SKYPE?
2. NEW FOCUS DAY IS FOR MISSION GROUPS TOO
3. TASTE OF TRANSLATION
4. CUTTING EDGE MISSIONS TRAINING FOR WORK AT HOME AND ABROAD
5. STUDY ARABIC THIS SUMMER!
6. SHORT TERM MISSION TRIP PLANNING WEB SITE
7. NEED AN OPTION TO MAKE PDF COPIES? TRY THIS FREE VERSION
8. GETAWAY FOR CHRISTIAN SERVANTS
9. MK REENTRY RETREAT
10. CAN’T KEEP UP WITH GOOD READING?
11. SCHOOL SEEKS SUPER SUPERINTENDENT
12. WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO HELP WITH THE COSTS OF BRIGADA?
13. CLOSING STUFF
1. HAVE YOU INSTALLED SKYPE? — If you haven’t gotten around to wondering over to http://www.skype.com yet, now’s a great time. They don’t give us a commission (in fact, they don’t *charge* you one). It’s just plain *free*. You can pay a little extra (but not much) to call phone numbers in other countries… and the computer-to-computer calls don’t cost you a single peso. And the calls are encrypted, end to end, for your privacy. Why *wouldn’t* we want to start using this technology. :-)
2. NEW FOCUS DAY IS FOR MISSION GROUPS TOO — The new worldwide Internet Evangelism Day on 24 April is not only for churches. Mission agencies and Bible colleges can use the downloadable video clips, dramas and PowerPoints to create a seminar program explaining the potential of the Web for direct evangelism. Since most mission agencies are not yet using the Internet for outreach, IE Day is an ideal time for their staffs to look together at ideas and strategies. http://ied.gospelcom.net/index.php
3. TASTE OF TRANSLATION — Looking for a great spot for Spring Break? This beats the beach in Florida. Try “Total It Up” in Tucson AZ, March 14-16, for a “Taste Of Translation And Linguistics” (“TOTAL”). This Three-day course includes introductory classes on phonetics and phonology, grammar, and translation, hear field reports and personal testimonies. Learn in a relaxed, informal setting with experienced Wycliffe translators. Devotions, prayer time and group living build meaningful relationships between staff and students. Housing and meals (breakfast, lunch and tasty ethnic dinners) are provided. Cost is $100 per person. Wade_Remer(at)wycliffe(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] http://www.wycliffe.org/events/Total/home.htm
4. CUTTING EDGE MISSIONS TRAINING FOR WORK AT HOME AND ABROAD –- Learn more about Church Planting Movements, Transformational Community Development, Contextualized Evangelism, and a whole lot more. Check out The International Express http://www.internationalexpress.org is designed to train Kingdom minded Christians how to effectively reach the unreached at home (immigrants) and abroad (10-40 Window) via the best of current missiology, in a setting where students are involved in regular outreach to unreached immigrants. For info, write TIEnyc(at)hotmail(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
5. STUDY ARABIC THIS SUMMER! — The Institute of Strategic Languages and Cultures presents the first year of Arabic Studies, June 6-July 1, 2005. Held on the campus of Columbia International University in Columbia, SC, the tuition is $1,125. It lasts for 4 wks. Optional Room and Board is $820 (CIU facilities-4 weeks). For more information, U.S. callers can dial toll free 800-799-7976; Others may call 803-333-9119, or email rlmoffice(at)juno(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
6. SHORT TERM MISSION TRIP PLANNING WEB SITE — Kevin Paszalek (long time Brigada participant and contributor) has developed a web site to help churches plan short term mission trips. The site contains mountains of helpful information, links to other sources and suppliers, free planning tools and a few products developed out of Kevin’s experience in preparing teams for short term missions. http://www.missiontriptools.com or email Kevin at bwana (at)missiontriptools(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
7. NEED AN OPTION TO MAKE PDF COPIES? TRY THIS FREE VERSION — Thanks to Robert, a worker from our own organization in South America, for recommending http://www.download.com/3000-6675-10045636.html Win2PDF. I had forgotten that I used to use this myself, prior to getting Adobe Acrobat. This program is a whole lot cheaper (free). :-)
8. GETAWAY FOR CHRISTIAN SERVANTS — Allison Ranch is a beautiful retreat located on the Salmon River in Idaho’s wilderness territory. A private Foundation makes this accessible to those in full-time Christian Service. For a total cost of $200, your party of up to four will be flown by chartered plane out of McCall, Idaho into your own private vacation cabin. A host couple provides three meals a day in the main lodge. Hiking, fishing, swimming in the beautiful Salmon River or sunning of the white sandy beaches, badminton, horseshoes, croquet, photographing wildlife can all be yours on a Monday through Friday basis. Please check out the website for more specific information http://www.replace.com/allison or call Judy at 208-377-3005. Scheduling has just begun for June through September 2005.
9. MK REENTRY RETREAT — Missionary Resources of Columbia is hosting a re-entry retreat specifically designed for MKs and TCKs who are high school graduates and/or college students. It will provide insights, activities and seminars aimed at transitioning into life in the United States. The retreat will be held at Look-Up Lodge in Traveler’s Rest, South Carolina, from August 8-17, 2005. Cost is $325(USD) per person, and the registration deadline is June 1, 2005. Applications can be downloaded directly from the website: http://www.mresourcescolumbia.org Or contact Liz at the following email address: nonaliz(at)mresourcescolumbia(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
10. CAN’T KEEP UP WITH GOOD READING? – Let David help. David writes notes on some of the best books on leadership, management, church, missions, spiritual growth and culture. Get a CD with David’s notes on nearly 450 books read from 1995 through 2004, including title and author indices and a word search engine (all in .pdf). The cost is $12, including shipping. Send a check for $12 (U.S. funds) to ACMC, Box 221, Brownsburg, IN 46112. Ask for the Book Notes CD and include your postal address. To see book notes, go to http://www.davidmays.org and click on Book Notes.
11. SCHOOL SEEKS SUPER SUPERINTENDENT — Faith Academy a K-12 MK school located in Manila, Philippines has an immediate opening for a Superintendent. Those interested in this opportunity should contact Keith Rascher at: search(at)faith(dot)edu(dotph [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] Further information about the school and a job description can be found at the following website: http://www.faith.edu.ph
12. WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO HELP WITH THE COSTS OF BRIGADA? — If so, just log on at https://brigada.org then click “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. Thanks! As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous.