In this issue….
- WHAT IN THE WORLD IS BRIGADA?
- HOW DO I MERRY CHRISTMAS THEE? LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
- GLOBAL GLIMPSE: TESTIMONY FROM THE BALKANS
- ALMA TRAINING CENTER SET TO OPEN
- ANOTHER CALLBACK SERVICE
- SPANISH MISSIONS COURSES AND SERVICES
- NEW WEB SITE TO REACH MUSLIMS
- INTENT’S INTENT
- BOOKS FOR YOU AND YOUR MUSLIM FRIENDS
- FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
- CHRISTIAN COMICS/CARTOON RESOURCES
- FITS THEM TO A TEE
- WEF MISSIONS COMMISSION’S DECLARATION OF IGUASSU
- STILL PREPARING THOSE PRACTICAL Y2K PLANS?
- MISSION TRIP TO HAWAII (NO KIDDING!)
- FREE ARABIC LANGUAGE SCRIPTURE IN BIG NUMBERS
- UTILIZING ARTS/ETHNIC ARTS in CHURCH PLANTING AMONG MUSLIMS
- GET YOUR FAXES FOR FREE
- MORE FREE SERVICES
- CLOSING STUFF
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS BRIGADA?
HOW DO I MERRY CHRISTMAS THEE? LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
GLOBAL GLIMPSE: TESTIMONY FROM THE BALKANS
(Source: Field Report from Eastern Mennonite Missions, 19 Nov, 1999 http://www.EveryPeople.net/Kosovarhome.php3?UseOrder=36 )
Global Glimpse is compiled by John Hanna, Caleb Project, Littleton, CO.
ALMA TRAINING CENTER SET TO OPEN
ANOTHER CALLBACK SERVICE
Germany for 13.5,
Hong Kong – 15.5,
Israel – 18.5,
Japan – 16,
Mexico – 28.5,
Norway – 13.5,
UK – 12.5.
The same rates apply if calls are made from these countries to USA. For rates between any two other countries in the world, go to: http://www.globaltel-callback.com/rates.htm.
There is no cost to open an account with GlobalTel. There are no statement fees, no monthly minimum charges and no per call surcharges. The only cost is the actual phone calls you make. Rates are good 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Other features offered are secure on-line sign up, the ability to check your account information and calling details on-line and the ability to use your computer to trigger a callback over the Internet. This service can also be used as a non pre- paid calling card when traveling in North America. The current rate when calling within the USA is only 11 cents per minute! For more detailed information about this service, go to: http://www.globaltel-callback.com
We’re greatly indebted to Billy firstname.lastname@example.org for tipping us off to this service. Thanks Billy!
SPANISH MISSIONS COURSES AND SERVICES
NEW WEB SITE TO REACH MUSLIMS
BOOKS FOR YOU AND YOUR MUSLIM FRIENDS
- The 99 Beautiful Names Of God by Dr. David Bentley (of Zwemmer Inst), available from Wm Carey Library, P.O. Box 40129 Pasadena, CA 91114 626-798-0819 or 1-800-Mission. An excellent add-on to your morning time with the Lord. Listing each of the 99 names in both Arabic and English, the comments which follow give the Biblical meaning of these names, as well as deeply thought through theological insights.
- Ethnic Realities On The Church: Lessons From Kurdistan By Bob Blincoe, U.S. Director of Frontiers and “Friends of the Kurds.” Insights from his work with the Kurds in America. From Wm Carey Library.
- Muslims And Christians At The Table by Bruce McDowell (of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia), and Anees Zaka, Founder of Church Without Walls. Published by P & R.(Presbyterian & Reformed) Publishing, P.O. Box 817, Phillipsburg, NJ 08865 contains a wealth of helpful information.
- Free at Last? The Gospel In The African-American Experience by Carl Ellis, of Project Joseph (also a Board member of Westminster Seminary/ Philadelphia), published by Inter-Varsity Press.
FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
CHRISTIAN COMICS/CARTOON RESOURCES
FITS THEM TO A TEE
WEF MISSIONS COMMISSION’S DECLARATION OF IGUASSU
STILL PREPARING THOSE PRACTICAL Y2K PLANS?
MISSION TRIP TO HAWAII (NO KIDDING!)
FREE ARABIC LANGUAGE SCRIPTURE IN BIG NUMBERS
The “Sharif” translation is different from other existing versions in several ways. First, it is written in simple Standard Arabic, so that even minimally educated people can benefit from it. Secondly, it is the only Arabic translation written to speak to Muslims in their own language. Other translations use ecclesiastical terminology and literalisms that can be either confusing or offensive to this audience. Thirdly, it is written using vocabulary which will be understood in the broadest range of Arabic-speaking countries, from N. Africa to the Gulf. Bible translators who have compared the existing versions have found this version to be the clearest, most natural, and most accurate translation in Modern Standard Arabic.
The Sharif, 4th edition, OT and NT, is due to be printed Christmas time. The publisher is offering up to 100 copies for free. You can get 200 if you’re willing to pay shipping costs. This edition promises to be quite an improvement over the last edition. If you’d like to take part, the publisher/translator insists on getting the following info, since the last time many addresses were incomplete and/or there were problems with delivery:
Postal address for Dec99/Jan2000
Fax (if available)
You can send your order to email@example.com. Thanks!
UTILIZING ARTS/ETHNIC ARTS IN CHURCH PLANTING AMONG MUSLIMS
GET YOUR FAXES FOR FREE
MORE FREE SERVICES
TO SUBSCRIBE — To subscribe to BRIGADA TODAY, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE — Send email to email@example.com. (Subject and text are ignored.)
IF IT DOESN’T WORK — Write Don & Judy, our Customer Services Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Yahooooo for volunteers!!!
COPYRIGHT — This issue of Brigada Today is Copyrighted © 2001. However, permission is granted to freely redistribute these materials, including those available through email autoresponders, provided that such redistribution is to those who will help the Good News of Christianity to reach the unreached. But please include this phrase: “For a free subscription of Brigada‘s weekly missions publication, write <email@example.com>.”
IMPORTANT: To copy or reproduce Brigada Today for any other reason is illegal and is not permitted.
DISCLAIMER — Please note that there’s no way we can possibly screen all the text on all the web sites or items we recommend. We try to check them out first… but if we miss something, please don’t assume that the opinions on those sites are identical to those of the Brigada family of networks. “Eat the corn, leave the cob!”
For subscription questions or problems, write firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMITTING CONTENT — To submit content or ideas to Brigada Today, first please get a copy of “Guidelines for submitting items to Brigada” Then, once you’ve composed your item in keeping with those guidelines, send your item for Brigada Today to DLucas@teamexpansion.org.
Emphasis is placed on items relating to unreached peoples and challenges faced by those reaching them cross-culturally.
PLEASE DON’T SUBSCRIBE US TO YOUR LIST — It’s always better to ask before manually force-adding anyone to your list-serve or mailing list. Recently, tons of well-meaning people have been subscribing Doug to their lists. Since he often travels overseas, he doesn’t join many of those, for obvious reasons (like being charged big-time for overseas access). So as a general rule, please don’t bulk-mail us! See the note above if you’d like to submit items for Brigada Today. Thanks for understanding. Bottom line: We will never create Brigada Today items from bulk mail. Bulk mail gets deleted immediately — sorry. Nothing personal. We suggest you apply the same standard to everyone. Ask first!
WARNING ABOUT FORWARDING EMAILS — Please, before forwarding any kind of request (even if it says “please send this to all your friends”), please check to make sure it has a VERIFIABLE ORIGIN, a VERIFIABLE PURPOSE, and a VERIFIABLE CLOSURE (OPC). By following this simple approach, many “email viruses” could be nipped in the bud… at least in the Brigada family. More information about the full Brigada OPC protocol is available. Thank you.
BRIGADA TODAY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE FOLLOWING TEAM OF REGULAR VOLUNTEERS:
- Global Glimpses: John Hanna, Caleb Project, email@example.com
- Brigada Website: Bob Mayhew, WebServant@brigada.org
- Brigada Customer Service Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brigada Coordinator: Doug Lucas, Team Expansion & Brigada, DLucas@teamexpansion.org
- and many other occasional contributors too numerous to mention!
- But thanks for working together! That’s the dream of Brigada!