Now with 996 Participants! 4 more!
News and Notes about Brigada, Your Gateway to Missions Networking!
[Pass this issue to a friend! To subscribe, see instructions at end.]
Visit Brigada on WorldWide Web: http://www.xc.org/brigada/brigada.html
- “WEB SITES YA GOTTA’ CHECK OUT” FOLLOW-UP
- “SUPPOSE WE KNOW THIS TRILINGUAL GIRL…” FOLLOW-UP
- THANKS FOR THOSE WHO WROTE RE: “THIS WEEK’S [ATTEMPT AT] HUMOR”
- GLOBAL GLIMPSE
- BEIRUT IS NOW COVERED!
- BRIGADA CONFERENCING PROTOCOL NEEDED
- SEND IN YOUR BEST “100 GATEWAY CITIES PRAYER EMPHASIS” IDEA
- HOW TO REACH 10,000 BRIGADA PARTICIPANTS
- WANT TO START AN EMAIL CONFERENCE OR NEWS LIST ON YOUR GATEWAY CITY?
- TO SUBSCRIBE TO BRIGADA TODAY
“WEB SITES YA GOTTA’ CHECK OUT” FOLLOW-UP
“SUPPOSE WE KNOW THIS TRILINGUAL GIRL…” FOLLOW-UP
THANKS FOR THOSE WHO WROTE RE: “THIS WEEK’S [ATTEMPT AT] HUMOR”
- at least one of the names mentioned has not been convicted as guilty,
- all the men are black, thus possibly portraying blacks in a bad light, and
- Brigada is a family of networks about missions and that kind of humor has no place here.
Wow. Sorry gang. I mentioned to those who wrote that I was so naive that it didn’t even occur to me that all 3 guys were black and that the joke might be sending a message to those sharp enough to listen for it! As a result, I’m asking for your forgiveness in posting the joke in this venue. It has already been removed from the worldwide web version.
Source: Brigada-Mission-Mobilizers email conference, 9/14/95 From: AD2000 and Beyond Movement
John Hanna Caleb Project Littleton, CO
BEIRUT IS NOW COVERED!
BRIGADA CONFERENCING PROTOCOL NEEDED
“Please, please, will everyone please put a footer on outgoing messages so that readers can be assured that they have the whole message! I don’t want to rattle anyone’s cage nor upset their day, but I would like to know that I have it all and that something has not been lost in transmission.
“Please also keep private messages off the net.
“As long as I am on my soapbox, I will also ask that we not begin our messages with, “Dear Dick…” Who’s Dick? Also, if we are replying to a question or anything, it will be most helpful to quote enough of the prior text so that the reader knows what’s going in, otherwise it is as so much blather and clogging up the airways.
“Please, also, may we not perpetuate a subject line through several incarnations to the point where it no longer bears any connection to the subject at hand.
“I really believe in networking for my work would be literally and truly impossible without it. Brigada and its sub-conferences was an idea long overdue in coming and my hat is off to everyone responsible for its creation and ongoing operation. But, it will make it easier for everyone if we can observe some few guidelines of protocol.
“Please take my words in the spirit of helpfulness that they are offered even though some spirit of frustration cannot be avoided.
“I recommend that someone in authority prepare a set of protocol guidelines, the observing of which will make networking easier for everyone. I know that this is anathema to some but they do help.”
[Thanks to Dave Nesmith for a heroic job getting us started in this work!]
The above already form the basis for some primary protocol for participation in multiple-speaker conferences. (“Mailing list” conferences, such as Mission Frontiers won’t get quite as much out of this discussion, of course.) If you’d like to add more, please send it to BrigadaCoord@xc.org with subject line “Protocols”. We’ll try to assemble a standard set that can be downloaded by any and all interested. Thanks!
SEND IN YOUR BEST “100 GATEWAY CITIES PRAYER EMPHASIS” IDEA
HOW TO REACH 10,000 BRIGADA PARTICIPANTS
WANT TO START AN EMAIL CONFERENCE OR NEWS LIST ON YOUR GATEWAY CITY?
- Join CrossConnect by sending a note to Cathleen@xc.org. She’ll send you detailed information about how to do it. It’s $52/year and gives you a “friendly” email address (after which your email is “forwarded” through CrossConnect to whatever service you choose to use that day or week or month!), conference moderator privileges, etc.
- Send a note to BrigadaCoord@xc.org explaining the city or people group for which you’d like to moderate a list or discussion. You’ll soon receive easy step-by-step instructions (with lots of examples) on how to create the new conference.
- Send the create commands to BrigadaCoord@xc.org for final error-checking and consistency cross-checks. Within 48 hours or so, you’ll be in business! There are no “per message” fees or on-going monthly charges to either you, your network, or your users.
Have a great week!
TO SUBSCRIBE TO BRIGADA TODAY, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with only the following message:
TO UNSUBSCRIBE (You wouldn’t dare… would you???!), send email to email@example.com with this line in the text:
BRIGADA TODAY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE FOLLOWING TEAM OF REGULAR VOLUNTEERS:
- Global Glimpses: John Hanna, Caleb Project, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ADVANCE: Mark A. Kelley, Kainos Press, email@example.com
- Web Wizard: Bob Mayhew, Brigada Volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Art: Patti Mayhew, c/o email@example.com
- Technical Development: Jonathan Marsden, CrossConnect firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compiler: Doug Lucas, Team Expansion & Brigada, DLucas@TeamExpansion.org
- and many other occasional contributors too numerous to mention! But thanks for working together! That’s the dream of Brigada!