In this issue…
1. SEMINARS IN MUSLIM STUDIES!
2. DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE 2005: CD RESOURCE AVAILABLE
3. NEW BOOK PRICE COMPARISON OFFERS CART COMPARISON SERVICE
4. MUSIC AND ARTISTIC EXPRESSION TO EVANGELIZE?
5. 60 TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE CHURCH SITES
6. FIND INSURANCE COVERAGE
7. INTERNET EVANGELISM WORKSHOPS AVAILABLE ONLINE
8. SO. CALIFORNIA MISSIONSFEST
9. OMF BAY AREA CONFERENCE
10. MISSIONS MOBILIZATION TRAINING
12. HOSPITALITY BOOK AVAILABLE: “CUP OF COLD WATER”
13. UK WORKERS GET FREE FAX
14. GET MISSIONS TRAINING ONLINE
15. TEACH (ENGLISH) TO REACH (THE NATIONS)
16. THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
17. THE BACK PAGE: WHAT DRIVES YOU?
18. CLOSING STUFF
1. SEMINARS IN MUSLIM STUDIES! — In 2005, students from all over the world will gather to learn from qualified, experienced and passionate professors, as they develop and sharpen their skills in Muslim ministry. The Zwemer Center is offering four Muslim Studies seminars during the month of July at Columbia International University in Columbia, SC. Seminars may also be taken for credit.
Summer Studies 2005: July 4-8 Introduction to Islam (CIU faculty) July 11-15 Folk Islam (Dr. Dave Cashin) July 18-22 Approaches to Islam (Dr. Phil Parshall) July 25-29 Revelation, Qur’an and Muslim Tradition (Dr. Steven Masood)
For more information: US callers can dial toll free 800-777-2227 x3327; others may call 803-754-4100 x3327. Or check out: http://www.ciu.edu/muslimstudies Email: muslimstudies(at)ciu(dot)edu [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
2. DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE 2005: CD RESOURCE AVAILABLE — About 100 participants from 31 countries gathered with twelve international speakers from March 11 – 14 at Mosbach (Germany) to learn about participation, holistic ministry and phasing out – all at the Christian Community Development Conference 2005. The Academy of World Mission (Korntal/Germany) published towards the end of the conference a CD of the event in English containing all speeches (MP3, including powerpoint files) and lots of additional material towards the topics. The table of content is available from johann(at)aem(dot)de including 2.218 into the subject line. The CD costs $20 including international postage. Order the CD at International Christian Books writing to icb(at)aem(dot)de [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
3. NEW BOOK PRICE COMPARISON OFFERS CART COMPARISON SERVICE — A free new book price comparison site http://www.booksprice.com There it offers a new innovative service of finding the best price on a purchase of several books together.
Since people usually buy several books together to save on the shipping price and to minimize the number of online transactions, and since each store has unique prices for each book, this new service can save more money than a traditional single-book price comparison. http://www.booksprice.com allows people to search for books, add them to a virtual cart and finally find the best overall price for the total contents of the cart searching the best book prices in over 30 online stores. The store which offers the best overall deal on the cart (including shipping costs) is located and a direct link to the winning store is provided.
4. MUSIC AND ARTISTIC EXPRESSION TO EVANGELIZE? — Here’s an invitation to apply to join some exciting tours this summer to Italy, Turkey, Croatia and Macedonia! Organizers are seeking talented and gifted musicians as well as roadies and sound and video tech crews to be a part of our tour. They use a variety of music to gain the ear of those who need Christ . They always are eager to have anyone who can serve and be a witness. Log on at… http://www.ProclaimInternational.com . Visit their web site . An application is downloadable for you.
5. 60 TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE CHURCH SITES — The folks at Internet Evangelism Day have produced a new guide on how to make church websites that are actually evangelistic and reach into the community. You can even insert it into your own site, by copy/pasting some easy code onto a page. http://ied.gospelcom.net/church-site-tips.php
6. FIND INSURANCE COVERAGE — Looking still for dental, vision, prescriptions, and chiropractic care? The benefits for this plan range from 25% to 80% discounts. Just click on the URL below: http://www.mybenefitsplus.com/40207930 Again, it’s a discount card for dental, vision, prescriptions and chiropractic care.
7. INTERNET EVANGELISM WORKSHOPS AVAILABLE ONLINE — It is possible to register for Virtual status which allows six months of viewing of all the 20 unique workshops presented at the Internet Evangelism for the 21st Century conference. The cost is only $20 which gives an individual repeated access to the video workshops for six months. Watch well known speakers like David Bruce, Allan Beeber, Sterling Huston and others talk about videoblogging, podcasting, follow-up and global internet missions. Each workshop is available in two resolutions for either broadband or dial-up access. Register today at http://www.ie-21stcentury.com.
8. SO. CALIFORNIA MISSIONSFEST — Here’s an exciting, free family missions conference at the Ontario Convention Center, April 29th to May 1st. No registration required. Featuring free children’s programs (ages 3 to 11), a Saturday Youth Rally, and world-class adult speakers. Visit 87 Missions Exhibits and choose from 60 Seminars. A special Friday luncheon is being held for Pastors, Church and Mission Leaders to hear Pastor Ed Smith, Board member of the Evangelical Christian Credit Union. Pre-purchased tickets are required for this luncheon and the Saturday Youth Rally (call 909-394-1263). Volunteers are needed for set up, hosting, ushering and supervising children. If you want to be a part of the worldwide missions movement, plan now to attend MissionsFest weekend, April 29th to May 1st. Why not volunteer an hour or two while you’re there? Visit http://www.mfestsocal.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further details. Remember, April 29 to May 1 at the Ontario Convention Center. Call (909) 394-1263 for more details.
9. OMF BAY AREA CONFERENCE — It’s not too late to plan on attending “Serving Christ in the Chinese Century”, April 29-30, 2005 (Friday evening and all day Saturday) at Peninsula Covenant Church (3560 Farm Hill Blvd., Redwood City, CA 94061). Hear James Taylor IV, OMF International and Dr. Matthew Koh, President, MSI, and take in plenary sessions, workshops, Win Our World children’s mission program, prayer and fellowship time with visiting missionaries. There are even four workshops in Mandarin and English: Befriending Your Mainland Chinese Neighbors – Dr. Doug Vavrosky (Friday – ! 8:30pm), Hong Kong and Macau – James Taylor IV (Saturday – 10:45am), Taiwan Tensions – Paul and Dr. Mary Jeanne Buttrey (Saturday – 1:30pm), Medical Services International – Dr. Matthew Koh (Saturday – 3:00pm). To learn more, visit: http://www.us.omf.org/northwest or email Julie omfconference(at)yahoo(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] or call +1-925-459-0734.
10. MISSIONS MOBILIZATION TRAINING –- Accelerating International Mission Strategies (AIMS) is presenting, “Multiplying Missions through the Local Church,” June 20-24 at Regent University in Virginia Beach. Join dozens of pastors, missionaries, church leaders and students to learn about AIMS training materials and how to network with believers from the United States and other countries to fulfill the Great Commission. All participants will have the opportunity to be certified as an associate and use AIMS materials to mobilize churches in the United States and on the mission field. Registration is $159 before June 1st and $199 after June 1st. Special pricing is available for returning associates and for groups over three. For more information, call the AIMS home office at (757) 226-5850 or email aims(at)aims-usa(dot)org or log on at http://www.aims.org
11. OPORTUNIDADES — Misión Integral Mediterranea (MIM) busca odontologos, higienistas y asistentes dentales – cristianos de lengua española o inglés para trabajar en ciudades pequeñas y aldeas del nórte de áfrica con tribus en last montañas. El frances y el árabe son utiles, pero no indispensibles. Escriba: MIMUSA[arroba]telefonica[punto]net
12. HOSPITALITY BOOK AVAILABLE: “CUP OF COLD WATER” — It’s now available! A practical book on Hospitality written for YWAM and the church. $19.95 plus shipping. Contact Debbie Rottier at cupofcoldwater(at)ywammt(dot)org or at 501 Blacktail Rd, Lakeside, MT,USA 59922. To view some pages go to https://www.ywamconnect.com/sites/Rottier
13. UK WORKERS GET FREE FAX — Of special interest to missionaries from the UK, http://www.voipbuster.com offers free calls when you sign up with EUR5 credit. It also gives a UK telephone number so that people can call you at your PC while you are online. (Similar to Vonage, etc but with no ongoing costs and a UK phone number.) It’s also useful for those who come from USA and some other countries (see web site) as it offers free calls to there, as well as Germany.
14. GET MISSIONS TRAINING ONLINE — Toccoa Falls College is launching TFC Online later this summer. The college has been training missionaries and Christian workers since 1907. This August, TFC Online will start to offer a program called College Level Instruction with Maximum Bible (CLIMB). This program will provide 30 hours of Bible training in a one-year time frame. If you are interested in learning more, call toll free in US – 888.785.5624 or 706.282.6012 or log on at: http://www.tfc.edu/online/ Courses start August 8, 2005.
15. TEACH (ENGLISH) TO REACH (THE NATIONS) — “Teach to Reach” Nations are crying out for English teachers. You can reach them with the gospel as you teach English. Now you can take TESOL training May 9 through June 3 and June 13 through July 8 at YWAM Lebanon, Pennsylvania, USA. Additional information and application forms can be found at http://www.ywampa.org or email questions ywampa(at)comcast(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
16. THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS! — Thanks to those who have pitched in recently to help sponsor Brigada’s webspace, some secretarial help, and a small amount of advertising. $25 from a family in Colorado, $36.13 from those using “Blessed Hope” long distance (Thanks for talking! :-) ), $5 from an anonymous worker in Europe, and $30 from Audio Scriptures International (http://www.talkingbibles.org ). We appreciate you all!!! If you’d like to help Brigada, just log on at https://brigada.org then click “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. Thanks! As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous.
17. THE BACK PAGE: WHAT DRIVES YOU? — Did you ever ask yourself the question, “What drives me to get up on time and show up for work?” Maslow argued that it was self-actualization and the motivation for leadership. But stop and think… how in the world would that motivate someone to leave the home and family he or she loves, to go far, far away to meet people that sometimes could care less he or she is there? I’m thinking Maslow was out to lunch on our missionary-types. I’m thinking our missionary types are committed to something that goes beyond personal stuff, beyond “finding oneself”.
So what *does* drive you to get up? In many cases, I’m thinking it’s the same thing that drove the Apostle Paul:
“For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.” (II Cor. 5:14-20)
With this kind of motivation, you see, the actualized self falls into alignment with the actualized *Lord*, who suddenly becomes more supreme than anything else in the universe.
Sure we care about being fulfilled. But my point is that, at the end of the day, it’s not really all about us. It’s about Him. And that’s why you bought airfare to parts unknown.
But … please do be careful. Motivation or not, it’s still a jungle out there. :-)