In this issue…
1. GREAT RESOURCE FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS VIA CELL PHONES
2. THE BIBLE AND MISSIONS
3. AUDIO SCRIPTURES AND ADOPT-A-VILLAGE MERGE
4. X-ERS & BOOMERS IN MID-AMERICA MAY 6-7
5. FINISHING WELL IN COOL COLORADO JUNE 10-11
6. MIM SEEKS DENTISTS, HIGIENISTS, ASSISTANTS
7. LEARN MORE ABOUT MARTYRS
8. WANT TO LEARN ABOUT CHRONOLOGICAL BIBLE STORYING?
9. ANOTHER GREAT TOOL FOR MAKING LOCAL/LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS
10. BEST PRACTICES IN CHURCH MISSIONS WEB PAGES
11. WORLD EVANGELICAL ALLIANCE WORLD ISSUES SUMMIT
12. LEARN TO REACH JAPAN
13. WORLD METHODIST EVANGELISM’S INT’L CHR YOUTH CONF.
14. GET YOUR MUSIC
15. COME TO PERTH, W. AUSTRALIA TO TRAIN AS A STRATEGIC COORDINATOR!
16. HELP THIS RESEARCHER LEARN ABOUT YOUR MOTIVES :-)
17. FLASH! ANONYMOUS DONOR GIVES $1,000 TO BRIGADA!
18. CLOSING STUFF
1. GREAT RESOURCE FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS VIA CELL PHONES — Gotta make a cell phone call to another country? Get ready to mortgage the farm, unless — you’ve got Nickel Talk! Thanks to Donna for tipping us on this one… Check it out at… http://www.nickeltalk.com/ 5 cents per minute to some countries, 26 cents/min. to others, like Bosnia (but then again, it’s a verified $4.38/min. from our landline). No commission here. No affiliation fees. Just one beggar telling another where to find bread.
2. THE BIBLE AND MISSIONS — The main goal for students in the School of Biblical Studies (SBS) is to know God and be equipped to make Him known. In YWAM Turner Valley’s School of Biblical Studies, students receive training and assistance as they carefully study the entire Bible using the inductive method. This nine month course goes from September 12, 2005 to June 30, 2006. YWAM Turner Valley is Frontier Missions focused, and works to help disciple two unreached people groups. For more information on SBS and other opportunities, please email turnervalley(at)ywam(dot)ca [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] or visit http://www.ywamturnervalley.com
3. AUDIO SCRIPTURES AND ADOPT-A-VILLAGE MERGE — On April 1st Audio Scriptures International and its sister organization, Adopt-A-Village, merged to become Talking Bibles International. This change will allow them to serve the non-reading community from a larger platform, more effectively and efficiently. The goal and focus of the ministry will remain the same, namely, to reach non-readers with the Word of God in a format they can understand and relate to, namely, the Talking Bible in their own languages. Talking Bibles International’s goal and desire is to place 100,000 Talking Bibles into non-reading homes in India over the next 5 years. Talking Bibles International will continue serving as an audio Scripture resource center for churches, individuals and ministries in the USA. It will continue recording New Testaments in more languages, reaching homes with the Bible in audio through its extensive website … providing Talking Bibles in Africa, South America, Central America, Asia and Europe. For more information contact info(at)talkingbibles(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] or visit http://www.talkingbibles.org
4. X-ERS & BOOMERS IN MID-AMERICA MAY 6-7 — Heard of the Finishers Project? Well now there’s a similar service at http://www.MissionNext.com What’s more, they’re pulling together a “MissionNext” face-to-face gathering gets Xer and Boomer adults together May 6-7, 2005 in Omaha, Nebraska. For more info, call +1 203 740 7278. Or email Headquarters(at)Finishers(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
5. FINISHING WELL IN COOL COLORADO JUNE 10-11 - Nelson, Bill & Amy and Paulette at The Finishers Project are inviting a few mission-minded Boomers to get together in Colorado Springs. Well, more than a few–as in a few hundred. Front-Range hospitality, living-sacrifice conversations, seminars & workshops, encouragement and tons of info for adults considering mission service. But watch it: From the first Finishers conference, 96 of the 300 participants ended up on the mission field within two years! Complete info at http://www.finishers.org/events/index.html or call 1 203 740 7278. Or email Headquarters(at)Finishers(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
6. MIM SEEKS DENTISTS, HYGIENISTS, ASSISTANTS — Mediterranean Integral Mission (MIM) is seeking English or Spanish speaking Christian dental professionals for work in small cities and remote regions among mountain tribal peoples in North Africa. French and/or Arabic is useful but not required. Contact MIMUSA[at]telefonica[dot]net
7. LEARN MORE ABOUT MARTYRS — The 8th National Conference on the Persecuted Church will be held in Columbia, SC on April 15/16, 2005. Speakers representing different countries where great persecution of our Christian brothers and sisters has been going on will be presenting reports and answering questions. There will also be time allotted for prayer on behalf of those who suffer silently. For further information, please contact the Director, Sam Elisha, 803-754-4030 or email semintinc(at)cs(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
8. WANT TO LEARN ABOUT CHRONOLOGICAL BIBLE STORYING? — It’s all the rage, no matter where you go. Now *learn* it! Pick it up on September 13-15, 2005 in Anaheim, California, USA. Register on-line at International Orality Network http://www.oralbible.com or e-mail Tom Meiner tmeiner(at)ccci(dot)org. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .] Register now (by April 15, 2005) for a $50 discount. (Hats off to Emily at Team Expansion, Bill at Power of Connecting http://powerofconnecting.com and Missions Catalyst Newsletter from Caleb Project for letting us know about this important event.)
9. ANOTHER GREAT TOOL FOR MAKING LOCAL/LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS — While we’re on the subject of phones, don’t forget: http://www.lowermyphonebill.com/brigada is a great site to learn the best routes and carriers for phone calls. You’ll probably be able to save $10/mo. or more, depending on your use and call times. Thanks!!!
10. BEST PRACTICES IN CHURCH MISSIONS WEB PAGES — Is your church hitting on all cylinders when it comes to the missions pages on its web site? This MS Word file from ACMC will help take the guesswork out of the kinds of information and inspiration your church can place on its missions web pages by showing what other churches are providing. Check out links to pages from over fifty categories and sub-categories. Chosen from dozens of churches—including many of North America’s most notable missions churches. For more information contact: dave(at)acmcsouthwest(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
11. WORLD EVANGELICAL ALLIANCE WORLD ISSUES SUMMIT — With the theme of “Move the Stones”, it’s slated for May 3-6, 2005 Orlando, Florida (Co- sponsored by National Association of Evangelicals and Evangelical Fellowship of Canada). It’s the World Evangelical Alliance Issues Summit. You will meet WEA’s senior regional leaders and International Council members, along with specialists in Religious Liberty, Missions, Women’s Concerns, Youth, and Theology, and a whole lot more. To register go to… http://worldevangelical.org/ call (425) 778-5513. email: info(at)worldevangelical(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
12. LEARN TO REACH JAPAN — Purchase CD’S of 21 recorded workshops from the recent “Reaching Japanese For Christ” conference. Workshop presenters included Japanese missionaries, Japanese pastors, para- church staff workers in ministry to Japanese from OMF-JCFN, Campus Crusade for Christ, IVCF, ISI, BGC, etc. Price of the 2 CD set (in MP3 format) in English is $15 which covers postage in the US & Canada. For an order form and a list of the workshop topics, go to http://www.TheJapanNet.com . For questions, contact John.Whitehouse(at)uscm(dot)org
13. WORLD METHODIST EVANGELISM’S INT’L CHR YOUTH CONF. — Slated for July 19-26, 2005, in Teresopolis, Brazil, young people, ages 17-30, are invited to this conference to be hosted by the youth and evangelism leaders of the first Region Conference, the Methodist Church in Brazil. The conference is being planned around the theme, “That the world may know Jesus Christ!” as part of the World Methodist Evangelism Emphasis 2004-2006. Join young people from around the world at the 8th International Christian Youth Conference on Evangelism — the first time for ICYCE in South America! http://www.worldmethodist.org/youthevents.htm or email worldevangelism(at)scarrittbennett(dot)org or write: World Evangelism, World Methodist Council Scarritt-Bennett Center, 1008 19th Avenue South Nashville, Tennessee, 37212-2166 ,USA or call 1-615-340-7541 or Fax: 1-615-340-7549.
14. GET YOUR MUSIC — Mount Carmel provides music CDs, and DVDs to missions and missionaries at wholesale prices. New releases and popular music CDs from Michael W. Smith, Caedmon’s Call, Third Day, Amy Grant, Chris Rice, Integrity, Hillsongs, Selah, Fernando Ortega (the list is endless) at nearly 50% off retail. They also offer the complete Adventures In Odyssey and Focus On The Family’s Radio Theater titles at up to 50% off. Mount Carmel ships to almost any country in the world. In most countries, 10 CDs can be sent for as little as $11.00 via Air Global Priority. Their web address is http://www.mountcarmel.com and for e-mail correspondence contact Bill at wic(at)mountcarmel(dot)com
15. COME TO PERTH, W. AUSTRALIA TO TRAIN AS A STRATEGIC COORDINATOR! — The Strategic Coordinator Seminar is about planning and implementing evangelism, business and church planting among your favourite segment of society. It’s an intense 3-week seminar (13 November-2 December 2005) led by veteran missionaries experienced at implementing people- and city-transforming strategies. In the seminar you will create a working plan for the evangelization of your focus population; be it gothic youth in London, indigenous peoples of Australia, an unreached people group in Africa or a mega-city in Asia. If you want to see your church take a more active role in evangelizing your focus people through prayer, going and sending out missionaries; if you are a missionary who desires to see more prayer, people and finance on an international level directed towards your focus group, then this seminar is for you. Contact the Registrar: info(at)ywamperth(dot)org(dot)au or telephone +61 8 9328 5321 or fax +61 8 9328 1324 or log onto: http://www.ywamperth.org.au Please tell them you read about it in Brigada!
16. HELP THIS RESEARCHER LEARN ABOUT YOUR MOTIVES :-) — Here’s a researcher working on a private research project to benefit missionary candidates who are trying to determine what skills and experience are needed beyond Bible school for entry into pioneer evangelism and church planting ministry environments. He’s asking the Brigada community to participate in an anonymous poll online by going to http://www.Propempo.com and answering on the far right: “What best describes the business purpose for your presence in a limited access country?” There are six choices given: 1/ community development & relief; 2/ medical; 3/ tourism & travel; 4/ micro-economic or business development; 5/ education – ESL; 6/ other For those skittish about the online poll, they could email/phone him directly. He’ll share his results with those who ask for it.
17. FLASH! ANONYMOUS DONOR GIVES $1,000 TO BRIGADA! — Can you believe it? In this one fell swoop, this guy underwrites 1/16 of the total expenses we’ll need for an entire year’s worth of secretarial, web-hosting, communications, advertising, postage, and more! We appreciate you!!! Now here’s the challenge: Do you know of someone who might join this guy and also become of volunteer anonymous supporter!? If so, please step up to the plate! Bottom line: 13 more like this guy… and we’re done talking about it for a whole year! Thanks again to the anonymous friend!!! May God raise up more like you! If you’d just like to help Brigada, just click “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. Thanks! As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous.