In this issue…
1. MEMBER CARE IN CRISIS SITUATIONS WORKSHOP
2. USING CYBERCAFES FOR OUTREACH IN THE 10-40 WINDOW
3. AOL PARTICIPANTS GOING STRONG
4. MISSION AND MISSIOLOGY DISCUSION FORUMS
5. EASYENGLISH (WYCLIFFE ASSOCIATES UK) INTRODUCE ‘LIFE OF JESUS’
6. “PRACTICAL MINISTRIES” AND “SCHOOL OF MISSION” COURSES
7. NEED TRAINING FOR YOUR SHORT TERM TEAM?
8. WITH A GRATEFUL HEART…
9. ISSUES IN MISSIONARY MENTAL HEALTH
10. CLOSING STUFF
1. MEMBER CARE IN CRISIS SITUATIONS WORKSHOP — Wycliffe Bible Translators International will offer the 2005 Member Care in Crisis Situations Workshop June 13-17 in Dallas, Texas. The workshop includes discussion of crisis impact, organization issues related to crisis, and peer debrief training and practice. Participants should plan to attend the entire workshop, 8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday. A registration fee of $100.00 is due upon registration to reserve a place in the workshop and is refundable until May 13, 2005. Workshop size is limited. Room and board fees for the workshop are $145.00/person, due upon arrival. For information or reservations contact International Member Care at: member_care_intl(at)wycliffe(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .].
2. USING CYBERCAFES FOR OUTREACH IN THE 10-40 WINDOW — People in poorer countries are desperate to learn computing skills, get online, and communicate by email. Where the ownership of a personal computer is out of the question, cybercafes are strategic. These articles share strategies for implementing a cybercafe ministry: http://www.cybermissions.org/icafe/index.html (Thanks Tony!!! You’re a great helper!)
3. AOL PARTICIPANTS GOING STRONG — Many (and we do mean *many*) AOL participants wrote to say they’re still receiving Brigada just fine. Bottom line: If you’ve had trouble receiving Brigada Today, it could be you need to check your individual anti-spam settings and make sure you didn’t inadvertently block it. (AOL Keyword “spam”) As an example, Mike wrote, ” In the lower left corner of the mailbox screen (the screen that lists the mail you have) there is a blue link which says “Spam Folder.” Click on that link, and it will list all of the mail that has been blocked out because it was suspected as spam. There is a button marked “This is not spam.” With Brigada highlighted on the spam list, click this button. It will send Brigada to the new mail list. Usually it will not be blocked anymore after this. It is a good idea to delete all of the real spam from the spam folder periodically. This will make it easier to find other mail that has wrongly been flagged as spam.” And Larry added, “Doug, Brigada Today is NOT blocked by AOL, I’ve got about 9+ years (from Nov 95) of archives to prove it. It is easy with some AOL versions to list something as span and get it blocked from your individual account. It takes a while to go thru the instructions and unblock an address, but AOL sure doesn’t block the domain or newsletter to all AOL addresses.” Thanks for the help Mike, and encouragement, Larry! And thanks to all the others who responded. (By the way, Larry has held the more-or-less formal role of “Mr. Brigada Tech Support” now for years. You can even write him at: BrigadaTechSupport(at)Brigada(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .])
4. MISSION AND MISSIOLOGY DISCUSION FORUMS — Have you heard about the series of mission and Missiology discussion forums formerly hosted by Global Mapping, and now hosted by FamilyNet? They are available as e- mail mailing lists, as news (NNTP) or (still!) as BBS echoes. For more information see:
(Congratulations to them for being around even longer than Brigada! :-)) (Thanks Steve!)
5. EASYENGLISH (WYCLIFFE ASSOCIATES UK) INTRODUCE ‘LIFE OF JESUS’ — The Life of Jesus Bible Study Course is available as a single file or as 112 small files. It was written be Professor Barrie Wetherill at EasyEnglish level B and may be downloaded from http://www.easyenglish.info . More information about EasyEnglish may be obtained from martin(at)easyenglish(dot)info .
6. “PRACTICAL MINISTRIES” AND “SCHOOL OF MISSION” COURSES — You are invited to study for free with other interactive students at the “Agape-Biblia” site! The new intensive schedule starts on 28 Feb., and at two lessons per week you will finish the 13-lesson Introductory Semester in 6.5 weeks. Registration deadline is 23 Feb. You’ll get a unique ID and password. To check out the courses and enroll, go to: http://www.agape-biblia.org
USA callers can contact Agape-Biblia toll-free (others can call via Skype or Net2Phone) 1-877-998-0341. By email: stargate(at)agape- biblia(dot)org [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
7. NEED TRAINING FOR YOUR SHORT TERM TEAM? — Details of your Short- term Mission trips consuming you? Wonder what you’ll do about training this spring? For the harried youth pastor or mission team leader, consider using the study guide “Before You Pack Your Bag, Prepare Your Heart”. It provides what each team member needs through its user- friendly, leader-friendly, spiral-bound Bible Study lessons. It takes a team member through the basics of serving overseas from cultural sensitivity to servant attitudes. A team meeting leaders’ guide is included so you have your training curriculum and devotional guide all in one resource. Check it out and order at: http://www.STEMmin.org or email: Judge190(at)aol(dot)com [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
8. WITH A GRATEFUL HEART… — Thanks so much to the Chalmers Center, who pitched in again this past week with a $100 gift. In addition, we’re thankful for the anonymous donor from Colorado who sent $100. And thanks to those talking on the telephone with Blessed Hope, who made possible a $20.83 sponsorship this past month! (Please keep talking! :- ) ) Thanks to the anonymous donor from Sweden who keeps giving $5/mon! And to the second giver from Colorado, this time having given $25. Finally, thanks to the donor who worked with a foundation until he arranged for them to give $750! Yahooo! I hope more will follow his lead. We offer praise to God for the way he’s provided so far. If you’d like to help, just log on at https://brigada.org then click “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or any credit card), or just send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 13711 Willow Reed Dr., Louisville, KY 40299. Thanks! As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous.
9. ISSUES IN MISSIONARY MENTAL HEALTH — It’s coming fast! On February 25th & 26th, Missionary Resources of Columbia will hold their annual Issues in Missionary Mental Health conference. It will be hosted on the campus of Columbia International University (in Columbia, SC) and feature speakers well versed in both mental health and missions life. If you would like to attend this two day conference, please contact the MRC office at (803) 254-3313 or by email: info(at)mresourcescolumbia(dot)org or log on at http://www.mresourcescolumbia.org/seminars_and_retreats.htm#IMMH