Now with over 7500 participants!
News and Notes about Brigada, Your Gateway to Missions Networking!
On the WorldWide Web, browse https://brigada.org or http://www.eGroups.com/list/brigada-today
Brigada Today is “the missionary helper newsletter!”
Compiled by Doug Lucas DLucas@teamexpansion.org>, Louisville, KY
[Pass this issue to a friend! To subscribe, see instructions at end.]
- PLAY BY THE NUMBERS: CAN YOU HELP THIS ACCOUNTANT?
- IDEAL COMPANION FOR PRAYING FOR MUSLIMS MONTH
- EVANGELISM ON THE INTERNET ABOUNDS
- NEED MUSIC RESOURCES?
- FROM JERUSALEM TO IRIAN JAYA TO RED SQUARE
- WANT TO TAKE IN THE NEXT IAMS?
- NOW… ENCOURAGE LOCAL HYMN-WRITING
- STUDENT MISSIONS CONFERENCE
- GLOBAL GLIMPSE FROM CHINA
- WANT TO RECEIVE 6 FREE WORSHIP TAPES PER YEAR?
- PIPER PIPES IN
- CHINESE: “THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WEB”
- AVENUES TO GET FULL RANGE BIBLICAL EDUCATION
- TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? FREE LOCAL INTERNET FOR UK
- GET FREE SAT-PHONE TIME
- OKAY, OKAY, SO WE WON’T SAY Q___ AND D____ ANY MORE
- WHERE TO GET MOST EVERYTHING
- ENLARGE YOUR COLLECTION OF PROJECTION
- GET YOUR NEWS THE EASY WAY . . . VIA EMAIL
- TO SUBSCRIBE TO BRIGADA TODAY
PLAY BY THE NUMBERS: CAN YOU HELP THIS ACCOUNTANT?
IDEAL COMPANION FOR PRAYING FOR MUSLIMS MONTH
EVANGELISM ON THE INTERNET ABOUNDS
NEED MUSIC RESOURCES?
FROM JERUSALEM TO IRIAN JAYA TO RED SQUARE
WANT TO TAKE IN THE NEXT IAMS?
NOW… ENCOURAGE LOCAL HYMN-WRITING
STUDENT MISSIONS CONFERENCE
GLOBAL GLIMPSE FROM CHINA
(Source: Mission Network News; 10/1/98 http://www.gospelcom.net/mnn/)
Global Glimpse is compiled each week by John Hanna, Caleb Project, Littleton, CO.
WANT TO RECEIVE 6 FREE WORSHIP TAPES PER YEAR?
PIPER PIPES IN
CHINESE: “THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WEB”
AVENUES TO GET FULL RANGE BIBLICAL EDUCATION
Adult Bible Courses (non-college credit)
- Emmaus Correspondence School http://www.emmaus.edu/ecs_main.htm
- Moody Independent Studies http://www.moody.edu/ED/XS/Independent/Welcome.htm
College & Graduate Courses (college credit) (OC = Online Courses)
- Emmaus (above) & Moody ( above)
- Columbia Independent Distance Learning http://www.gospelcom.net/ciu/idl/
- Gordon-Conwell’s SemLink http://www.gcts.edu/semlink
- Northwestern’s Center For Distance Learning (OC) http://www.nwc.edu/disted
- Southwestern Baptist’s Lay Theological Studies.(OC) http://www.swbts.edu/lts
- Taylor University Extended Learning (OC to come) http://www.tayloru.edu/~iel
- Trinity Non-traditional Options http://www.trin.edu/nto
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? FREE LOCAL INTERNET FOR UK
GET FREE SAT-PHONE TIME
OKAY, OKAY, SO WE WON’T SAY Q___ AND D_____ ANY MORE
WHERE TO GET MOST EVERYTHING
- TEALBROOK–water purification products. We also carry first aid kits and some related equipment, but our specialty is in the area of water. Mike & Deb Lundeen
- PRM (Portable recording Ministries) was established in 1968 as a technical ministry providing Audio/Visual Equipment and technical assistance as an aid in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ around the world. We want to be your resource to help you extend your Christian ministry. PRM is a technical subsidiary of Audio Scripture Ministries which has locations in Kenya, East Africa, Singapore, India and Bangladesh.
PRM may be contacted by
- AUDIO SCRIPTURE MINISTRIES 760 Waverly Road
Holland, Michigan 49423 USA
- Lehman’s Non-Electric Catalog–They have all sorts of good stuff, from water filter systems to meat grinders. They have a catalog with some special prices for missionaries.
- For information and equipment for well drilling and other methods of developing rural water supplies, the best Christian source is Lifewater International at http://www.lifewater.org.
- Seafreight / Airfreight
- TRAVEL: Flight Tickets
- TELECOM: Interconnection, Card Services, Callback
- MUSIC for MISSIONS for free!! PaulGarratt@XC.Org, MfM, 294 Massey Rd, Mangere East, Auckland 1701, NEW ZEALAND
Phone/Fax (64-9) 2769-462 or 2769-459
- PRAYER CARDS – Ron Urbanovitch Missionary Photo Service MPS@xc.org www.Clearvista.com/mps
- NUMBER EIGHT: HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill Grain mills, water filters, Aladdin lamps, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors items
- NUMBER NINE: CALL 220 INTERNATIONAL, INC. 1-800-327-1758 or 516-254-4102 or fax 516-254-2368 or email Call220inc@AOL.COM Randy Spelman, the President, would be happy to send his catalogs in the mail at your request. Call 220 deals in just about any brand of 220 volt appliance. Call 220 is a direct distributor for all General Electric 220 volt items which means his prices are better than anyone else’s since GE has less than a half dozen 220 volt distributor throughout the US. (Missionaries cannot buy directly from GE.) Call 220 is very generous toward missionaries and makes special pricing available. I have ordered some $10,000 of items through him and have never been disappointed.
- MISSIONARY RESOURCES (from International Aid Inc.) This is a 56 page booklet, published in 1997 of some 300 organizations covering lots of resources, ie. from Agriculture to Water, Wells; Pumps and Purifying Systems. Be sure to request this $2 booklet via their email: firstname.lastname@example.org This booklet will help you to not have to reinvent the wheel.
ENLARGE YOUR COLLECTION OF PROJECTION
GET YOUR NEWS THE EASY WAY . . . VIA EMAIL
IMB lists: There are some prayer request and news release e-mail lists at http://www.imb.org/maillist.htm , an “excellent source of grassroots news and vignettes.” The “Today’s Prayer” list M-F has many items of news and prayer requests from many countries. Someone with Internet access could subscribe for another who does not have it. Very good source of prayer material from around the world.
DAWN Fridayfax: Weekly missions news from around the world. Send an e-mail to: email@example.com with the words:
in the Subject line. Nothing needed in the message area. Web site: http://www.jesus.org.uk/dawn/ .
Global Mapping International Newsletter List: Various items related to missions. Send an e-mail to: subscribe-gmi-info@XC.Org.
Global Prayer Digest: To receive daily GPD postings, mail to: subscribe-brigada-pubs-globalprayerdiges@XC.Org. A lot of interesting info on unreached peoples.
JOEL-NEWS-INTERNATIONAL: An e-mail bulletin offering news reports on prayer and revival from all over the world, published twice a week in English. Subscribe by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with:
in the body of the message. Web site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvdwoude.
Wycliffe Bible Translators: Web site: www.wycliffe.org has daily prayer request and other news about Wycliffe. May have info on some e-mail availability soon on the site.
Intercessors Network: Web site: http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-54890. Urgent prayer targets e-mail list. Help in praying for world leaders, etc. Request by sending a note to: email@example.com. News of persecution and martyrdom. To subscribe, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the single line
in the body of the message.
China Watch: News on missions related to China. To subscribe, send a message (subject & body blank) to: Msubscribeemail@example.com.
Hot Spots: Daily e-mail with info on dangerous and potentially dangerous situations in different countries world-wide. Must register online, or have someone register you at the site: http://www.airsecurity.com. Not strictly missions news, but some important things to pray for which affect missions.
Brigada Today: But hey . . you’re already subscribed to this, right? If not, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GENERAL NEWS BY E-MAIL
Infobeat News: All kinds of News, Sports, Weather, and other items that can be received automatically by e-mail. Must select items you want at: http://www.infobeat.com, but someone else who has the Internet can subscribe for you, giving your e-mail address. Gives headlines, one paragraph summary, and an internet site address to click on for the full story.
Daily Brief: Briefer than Infobeat on individual items, but gives a wide variety of news, sports, business items. Very good. Subscribe by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com. Nothing needed in subject line or message area. Or send to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with:
in the subject line..
Wired News Daily: News on Business, Culture, Technology, Politics, etc. Subscribe at: http://www.wired.com. Headlines, one paragraph, internet site for the story.
World Net Daily: “Cutting edge news source.” The e-mail only gives the headlines. Have to go to the web site for the news. You can subscribe at: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/.
MSNBC News: Headlines, short summary, and site to access – with news in various fields. Subscribe at: http://www.msnbc.com.
CNN personal page: Bryan Bryami@xc.org says: I have also set up my own page care of CNN. Off their home page http://www.cnn.com you can choose to personalize a news web page with the kind of stuff you want to hear about and keep up on.
Compiled by Roger E. Doriot email@example.com , October, 1998.
TO SUBSCRIBE — To subscribe to BRIGADA TODAY, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE — Send email to email@example.com. (Subject and text are ignored.)
IF IT DOESN’T WORK — Write Don & Judy, our Customer Services Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Yahooooo for volunteers!!!
COPYRIGHT — This issue of Brigada Today is Copyrighted © 2001. However, permission is granted to freely redistribute these materials, including those available through email autoresponders, provided that such redistribution is to those who will help the Good News of Christianity to reach the unreached. But please include this phrase: “For a free subscription of Brigada‘s weekly missions publication, write email@example.com>.”
IMPORTANT: To copy or reproduce Brigada Today for any other reason is illegal and is not permitted.
DISCLAIMER — Please note that there’s no way we can possibly screen all the text on all the web sites or items we recommend. We try to check them out first… but if we miss something, please don’t assume that the opinions on those sites are identical to those of the Brigada family of networks. “Eat the corn, leave the cob!”
For subscription questions or problems, write firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMITTING CONTENT — To submit content or ideas to Brigada Today, first please get a copy of “Guidelines for submitting items to Brigada” Then, once you’ve composed your item in keeping with those guidelines, send your item for Brigada Today to DLucas@teamexpansion.org.
Emphasis is placed on items relating to unreached peoples and challenges faced by those reaching them cross-culturally.
PLEASE DON’T SUBSCRIBE US TO YOUR LIST — It’s always better to ask before manually force-adding anyone to your list-serve or mailing list. Recently, tons of well-meaning people have been subscribing Doug to their lists. Since he often travels overseas, he doesn’t join many of those, for obvious reasons (like being charged big-time for overseas access). So as a general rule, please don’t bulk-mail us! See the note above if you’d like to submit items for Brigada Today. Thanks for understanding. Bottom line: We will never create Brigada Today items from bulk mail. Bulk mail gets deleted immediately — sorry. Nothing personal. We suggest you apply the same standard to everyone. Ask first!
WARNING ABOUT FORWARDING EMAILS — Please, before forwarding any kind of request (even if it says “please send this to all your friends”), please check to make sure it has a VERIFIABLE ORIGIN, a VERIFIABLE PURPOSE, and a VERIFIABLE CLOSURE (OPC). By following this simple approach, many “email viruses” could be nipped in the bud… at least in the Brigada family. More information about the full Brigada OPC protocol is available. Thank you.
BRIGADA TODAY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE FOLLOWING TEAM OF REGULAR VOLUNTEERS:
- Global Glimpses: John Hanna, Caleb Project, email@example.com
- Brigada Website: Bob Mayhew, WebServant@brigada.org
- Brigada Customer Service Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brigada Coordinator: Doug Lucas, Team Expansion & Brigada, DLucas@teamexpansion.org
- and many other occasional contributors too numerous to mention!
- But thanks for working together! That’s the dream of Brigada!